|Choose Your Plans:||
Basic Registration, State Registration, Central Registration
Food license or FSSAI license is granted to all manufacturers, traders, restaurants carrying out any food business which may involve manufacturing or processing. On applying for FSSAI registration, an unique 14-digit licence number is issued which has to be quoted on all food packages. The licence number is also required even if food products are not packaged. License is granted based on following parameters
Scale of business
Type of activity.
There are three levels of registrations
We would provide Basic Registration under this plan
Taxhills expert will help you understand the applicability of type of registration for your business and carry out all the formalities with ease.
✔ Eligibility Consultation
✔ Filing of Application Registration with Authority
✔ Track status of application while processing
✔ Receipt of Application Code
✔ Business hours Expert Support
Documents To Be Submitted
Supporting documents (if any)
Photo Identity proof of promoters
Business Constitution certificate
Proof of possession of business premises
List of food products manufactured or processed
Bank account information
What is Food license or FSSAI Registration?
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India in order to monitor the quality of food products being produced or processed by various food operators has mandated food operators to obtain Food license. All the businesses engaged in food activities are required to apply for different type of food license based on following parameters
- Scale of business
- Type of activity.
What are the different types of FSSAI Registrations?
There are three types of Registrations under FSSAI. Our experts will advise you on the applicable registration based on the government registration criteria. The plan price shall vary according to the registration applied for.
- FSSAI Basic registration- Small businesses or startups having annual turnover below Rs.12 lakhs can apply. As operations scale up and turnover reaches Rs. 12 lakh bar, the basic registration will need to be upgraded to state license.
- FSSAI State license-Small and Medium business units having annual turnover in the range of Rs.12lakh -20 crores need to apply for State level License.
- FSSAI Central license-For large business having annual turnover above Rs.20 crores, applicant need to obtain Central Level License. The same license is applicable where you are you are engaged in import or export of food products or selling goods to government offices.
What are the steps involved in obtaining FSSAI License?
- Step 1: FSSAI Form A is filled on FSSAI website and payment is made.
- Step 2:After payment has been made successfully, Form B has to be filed along with multiple declarations and resolutions such as board resolution, No Objection Certificate by landowner to establish the identity of business. These are to be drafted by professionals such as Experts and Company Secretaries as the application goes through rigorous vetting by the department.
- Step 3: On submission of application along with other documents, a code is generated for provisional registration which is to be quoted during all future correspondence.
- Step 4: The application is then reviewed by the department and it may call for additional information or suggest edits. The process takes around 30 to 40 days to get closed and involve follow ups with department before the receipt of licence number. With TaxHills the process can become simple. All you need to do is:
- Buy the Plan
- Upload documents
- Get Application Code
- Track status
- Obtain FSSAI license
Is there any validity period of the license?
FSSAI License is issued with validity of one to five years in each category that is Basic Registration, State Registration and Central Registration. The license has to be renewed within 30 days before expiry of original license. For renewal too the same plan can be used.
Do i need separate FSSAI Registration if i have two ice cream parlors in the same city?
FSSAI license that is issued is always location specific. If you have multiple business places you need to apply for separate registration for each location.
What are the different categories of license?
The FSS (Licensing & Registration) Regulations, 2011, licenses and registrations are granted to Food Business Operators in a 3 tier system, such as; 1. Registration 2. State license 3. Central License
If medical stores are selling dietary food and need to get a license if they are selling dietary foods and or plant-based supplements (nutraceuticals)?
All Food Business Operators and, including medical stores, have to get FSSAI license/registration. It is mandatory, and non-compliance may result in heavy penalties.
What is the FSSAI License Validity Period in India?
An FSSAI license can be acquired for a period ranging anywhere from 1 year to 5 years. You can while applying for an FSSAI License decide for how long you wish to obtain the FSSAI License for. Your fee may also vary according to the period chosen.
How to renew your license/Registration after expiry?
You need to renew your FSSAI license before the expiry of its validity period. In case you end up missing the date of renewal of the application, you will have to apply for a fresh FSSAI license if you wish to continue your food business operations.
Why do I need an FSSAI license and registration?
If you are a Food Business Operator you’ll need an FSSAI License and Registration since it is the basic requirement to start any food business in India.
What happens if I don’t have one?
All food business operators are required by law to obtain a license before commencing the activity. If a Food business operator fails to do so but continues to manufacture, trade or distribute any food article he/she may be fined imprisonment for a term of up to 6 months. The imprisonment can be accompanied with a fine which may extend to Rs. 5,00,000.
What does the licence contain?
An FSSAI Registration Certificate consists of an embedded QR code and has the image of FBO with 14-digit Registration number starting with 2 (2xxxxxxxxxxxxx). This 14-digit registration number must be displayed at the shop/holding/premises at all times.
What happens if a Food business operator license is cancelled? Does he need to stop food business activities?
If a Food Business operators license or registration is cancelled he/she must stop all food business activities immediately. Carrying out any food business activity on suspended or cancelled License/Registration is an illegal activity and will attract penalties and fines under FSSAI Act, 2006.